- Ball, J.; Hughes, J. (2011), 3D Lenticular Map of the Lake District, UK., http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deepmaps-Central-Lake-District-Terrain/dp/0957116403/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327076841&sr=1-1
- Miller, D.R.; Harthill, P.; Morrice, J.; Ball, J.; Messager, P., (2008), Participatory planning using a virtual reality environment., Edinburgh College of Art, Edinburgh, 1st May 2008. Invited Lecture.
- Miller, D.R.; Horne, P.; Morrice, J.; Ball, J.; Messager, P., (2008), Participatory strategic planning using a virtual reality environment., In: Proceedings of GISRUK 2008 (ed. D. Lambrick), Manchester Metropolitan University, Manchester, 2-4th April 2008, pp267-371.
- Ball, J.; Watt, S.; Capanni, N., (2007), Virtual reality for mutual understanding in landscape planning., International Journal of Social Sciences on Virtual Reality for Distance Education, 27, 78-88.
- Donnelly, D.; Macdonald, L.; Ball, J.; Dawson, L., (2007), Where dunnit?, Soil Forensics International Conference, Edinburgh, 30th October - 1st November 2007. Abstract and poster presentation, P42.
- Macdonald, L.M.; Donnelly, D.; Ball, J.; Dawson, L.A., (2007), Integration of modern soil fingerprinting methods for forensic application., The Environment in a Legal and Regulatory Context - Environmental Forensics: a new frontier, Bournemouth University, 16th-18th April 2007, p24.
- Miller, D.R.; Harthill, P.L.; Ball, J., (2007), Virtual reality studies: applications., Presentation of Virtual Landscape Theatre and VR tools to staff, students and public at Robert Gordon University, 8th-9th March 2007.
- Miller, D.R.; Harthill, P.L.; McKeen, M.; Riley, D.; Ball, J., (2007), Virtual reality studies: applications., Impact Assessments and Public Participation, All Energy Exhibition, 23-25 May 2007.
- Miller, D.R.; Morrice, J.; Horne, P.; Ball, J., (2007), Integrating programmes of awareness and education for professionals and the public., Proceedings of Environment, Abu Dhabi, 27 January - 2 February 2007.
- Young, M.; Ball, J.; Feeney, I., (2007), The state of Scotland's historic buildings., Report to Historic Scotland.
- Ball, J.; Cummins, R.; McKeen, M.; Lilly, A., (2006), A borders wetland vision: development of a strategic planning tool for wetland biodiversity conservation., Report to the Scottish Borders Council.
- Dawson, L.; Macdonald, L.; Ball, J., (2006), Integration of soil fingerprinting techniques for forensic application., Environment and Industrial Geophysics Group, "Geoscientists at Crime Scenes", Burlington House, Piccadilly, London.
- Miller, D.R., Morrice, J., Ball, J., Ode, A. and Bell, S., (2005), Planning and managing land use change in relation to renewable energy., Proceedings of Our Shared Landscape, Ascona, Switzerland, 2-6 May 2005, (ed. E. Lange and D. Miller). Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich.
- Ball, J. and Miller, D.R., (2004), Initial assessment of possible, visible impact issues relating to a proposed windfarm in Perthshire (Welton of Creuchies)., Report to E.ON Group (Confidential report).
- Miller, D., Bell, J., Ball, J., Morrice, J., Wood, M., Ward-Thompson, C., Ode, A., and Horne, P., (2004), Study into landscape potential for wind turbine development in East and North Highland and Moray., European Commission.
- Miller, D., Bell, S., Ball, J., Morrice, J., Wood, M. and Ode, A., (2004), Development of a database of landscape potential for wind turbines., Scottish Natural Heritage Conference, Energy and the Natural Heritage, November 2004.
- Ball, J., (2003), Strategic prediction of cumulative impact of wind farm developments in North Ayrshire., Report to The North Ayrshire Council.
- Ball, J., (2003), Visibility mapping for windfarm development in the Scottish Borders., Report to The Scottish Borders Council.
- Young, M.E., Ball, J., Laing, R.A., Cordiner, P. and Scott, J., (2003), Maintenance and repair of cleaned stone buildings., Report to Historic Scotland.
- Young, M.E., Ball, J., Laing, R.A., Cordiner, P. and Scott, J., (2003), The consequences of past stone cleaning intervention on future policy and resources, Report to Historic Scotland.
- Ball, J. (2002) Towards a Methodology for Mapping ‘Regions for Sustainability’ using PPGIS, Progress in Planning, vol. 58 (2), pp. 81-140
- Ball, J. (2001) "Can ISO 14000 and Eco-Labelling Turn the Construction Industry Green?"; Building and Environment, in press (proofs returned).
- Ball, J. (2001) "Environmental Future State Visioning: Towards A Visual And Integrative Approach To Information Management For Environmental Planning", Local Environment; in press (August edition)
- Ball, J. (2001) "Towards a Methodological Basis for Holistic Landscape Ecology Planning: Mapping Regions for Sustainability using PPGIS."; Progress in Planning; in press (September Edition).
- Ball, J; Young, M E (2000) “Mapping The Decay & Weathering Of Stone: A Technique For The Assessment Of Large Numbers Of Buildings”,in Choi, S and Suh, M (Eds.) Proceedings of the New Millennium International Forum on Conservation and Cultural Property, 5-8 December 2000, Kongju National University, The Republic of Korea, pp. 134 - 147 (invited speaker)
- Young, M E and Ball, J. (2000) "Effects of Conservation Treatments on the Weathering of Sandstone and Granite Buildings in Scotland", in Choi, S and Suh, M (Eds.) Proceedings of the New Millennium International Forum on Conservation and Cultural Property, 5-8 December 2000, Kongju National University, The Republic of Korea, pp. 12 - 29
- Ball, J; Laing, R and Young, M E (2000) “Stone Cleaning: The Perceived Benefits Contrasted with the Physical Consequences and Financial Implications”; Journal of Architectural Conservation, no. 2, July, pp. 48 - 63
- Ball, J; Young, M E (2000) “A Simple Technique For Enhancing Rapid Field Assessment Of Stone Decay On Buildings”, in Fassina, V. (Ed.) 9th International Conference on Deterioration and Conservation of Stone, Proceedings, Venice, 19-24 June, Elsevier, vol. 2, pp. 13 - 21
- Young, M E; Ball, J. and Laing, R (2000) “Quantification of the Decay of Building Sandstones”, In Conference Proceedings of Weathering 2000, Belfast, 26-30 June (in press) (paper may also be published in Journal of Earth Surface Processes & Landforms)
- Laing, R A; Ball, J; Scott, J and Young, M E (2000) The Implications of Stone Cleaning for Planned Building Maintenance, inFassina, V. (Ed.) 9th International Conference on Deterioration and Conservation of Stone, Proceedings, Venice, 19-24 June, Elsevier, vol. 2, pp. 813 - 817
- Young, M E; Ball, J and Laing, R (2000) Quantification of the Long-Term Effects of Stone Cleaning on Decay of Building Sandstones, in Fassina, V. (Ed.) 9th International Conference on Deterioration and Conservation of Stone, Proceedings, Venice, 19-24 June, Elsevier, vol. 2, pp. 179 - 186
- Ball, J; Young, M E and Cordiner, P (1999) “A Method for Comparative Assessment of Stone Decay on Buildings Using Information Technology”, In Proceedings of Stone Weathering in Polluted Urban Environments, Stone Weathering and Atmospheric Pollution Network (SWAPNET ‘99), Wolverhampton
- Laing, R.A.; Al-Hajj, A; Ball, J; Scott, J and Young, M E (1999). Stone cleaning: A life cycle cost model, In M.A. Lacasse and D.J. Vanier (eds.) Durability of Building Materials and Components 8, Vancouver, Canada. 30th May - 3rd June 1999. NRC Research Press: Ottawa. pp 1739-1745.
- Young, M E; Ball, J and Laing, R A (1999) “Survey results regarding attitude towards stone cleaning of building sandstones”,In M.A. Lacasse and D.J. Vanier (eds.) Durability of Building Materials and Components 8, Vancouver, Canada. 30th May - 3rd June 1999. NRC Research Press: Ottawa. pp 635-644.
- Laing, R A , Al-Hajj A, Ball J, Scott J and Young M E (1999). “Using whole life costing techniques to plan for the long term resource implications of stone cleaning”, In Proceedings of Swapnet 1999 [Abstracts only]. Wolverhampton, UK. 13th - 14th May 1999.
- Ball, J (1998) “A Casebook for Ecological Design and Construction”, in Sala, M and Roaf, S (Eds.) Florence 2nd International Conference For Teaching of Architecture (1997), proceedings, Tipografia Babina, pp. ISBN 88-8125-230-9 (abstract and paper)
- Stevenson, F and Ball, J (1998) “Sustainability and Materiality: the bioregional and cultural challenges to evaluation”, Local Environment, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 191 - 209
- Ball, J; Lonsdale, B and Berry, J (1996) “Planning and Ecoregionalism: their effects on architecture and urban morphology”, conference presentation to The 5th Interdisciplinary Research Network on the Environment & Society (IRNES), University of Lancashire, 24-25 September
- Stevenson, F and Ball, J (1996) “Linking Products with Practice: creating appropriate bioregional information on materials - the story so far in Scotland”, presentation to Contemporary Design From Traditional Materials conference, University of Plymouth, 8-10 May
- Stokes, A; Ball, J; Fitter, A H; Brain, P and Coutts, M P (1996) “An experimental Investigation of the Resistance of Model Root Systems to uprooting”, Annals of Botany, vol. 78, no. 4, pp. 415 - 421
- Mitchell, C P; Cooper, R; Ball, J; Swift, J J and Gunneberg, B (1994) The Private Woodlands Survey (1990-1992): Economics in the Private Sector, Forestry Commission Bulletin No. 5, HMSO (ISBN 0 855 38 31 94)